Job: User Experience Designer (1 Year Contract Position)
Company: Blue Coat Systems Canada, Waterloo, Ontario
Blue Coat Systems is the technical leader in application delivery networking. Blue Coat offers an application delivery network infrastructure that optimizes and secures the flow of information to any user, on any network, anywhere. Blue Coat offers unmatched visibility into the security and performance of business applications and web traffic running across the networks of the distributed enterprise and provides the comprehensive application and user control required to contain costs, enhance business productivity and respond quickly to changing business requirements. Trusted by many of the world’s largest organizations including 97 of the Fortune 100, Blue Coat has shipped more than 20,000 proxy appliances.
The Blue Coat Proxy SG™ family of proxy appliances provides total visibility and control of Web communications with wire-speed performance. Based on Blue Coat SGOS™, a custom, object-based operating system with integrated caching, these proxy appliances leverage existing authentication systems to enable flexible policy enforcement down to the individual user. Proxy SG combines comprehensive proxy support of all Web protocols with integrated content filtering, instant messaging control, peer-to-peer (P2P) control, streaming control, pop-up ad blocking and virus scanning. Blue Coat’s end-to-end product portfolio includes powerful reporting, policy and configuration management software – delivering a scalable proxy solution for centralized or distributed enterprise environments.
The Waterloo User Experience team owns the revitalization of the user interfaces for our products. We are looking for a UX Designer to join our team. You will be responsible for designing rich and engaging user experiences for web and mobile applications and helping to define the user experience across Blue Coat products.
The typical duties for this position would include:
- Create and maintain documentation (typically wireframes) that enables engineers to build software that fosters a delightful user experience
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts, Product Management, Documentation teams and Engineers
- Participate in regular brainstorming sessions, design reviews and other team-wide design efforts
- Assist in standardizing design patterns and visual designs in our products
- Conduct user research through the design process to ensure we are meeting customer needs.
- User interface design experience, preferably in complex systems.
- Post secondary education in Psychology, Information Systems, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Understanding of interaction design and experience in applying user-centered design methods.
The following would be a real plus for the position:
- Ability to translate user needs or other engineering analysis to design requirements.
- Background in requirements gathering (interviewing and observation skills)
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Effective communicator who is able to work in teams locally and remotely
- Wireframe design experience
- Graphic design
If you are looking for a challenge in a fast paced company, come and join Blue Coat!