Use your widget sidebars in the admin Design tab to change this little blurb here. Add the text widget to the Blurb Sidebar!
Posted: October 28th, 2015 | Author: Robert Barlow-Busch | Filed under: Events | No Comments »
Please note: For November only, we’ve shifted from our usual date in order to take advantage of a visit from special guests Kimberly and Kristen, from Microsoft HQ in Seattle.
Wednesday November 4, 2015
5:30 to 7:00 pm
Kitchener Public Library, Central Branch
Meeting Room C
85 Queen Street North, Kitchener
[View on map]
What to expect
Over the past few decades, UX research has come a long way from its roots in user acceptance testing and usability engineering. In this talk, Kimberly Tee and Kristen Warren will share what it’s like to do UX research in the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, working with large teams to build the experiences that support Windows and Xbox.
They will describe some of the UX research methods used at Microsoft to discover, describe, and predict user behavior, and discuss ideas for how some of those could also work at smaller companies.
About the presenters
Kimberly Tee is a User Researcher in Microsoft’s Windows and Devices Group, working with the Microsoft Edge team on the new web browser for Windows 10. Prior to joining Microsoft, she was a UX Designer and Researcher at SMART Technologies. She completed her MSc in Computer Science and HCI at the University of Calgary, and her BSc in Computer Science at the University of British Columbia.
Kristen Warren is a User Researcher for the Xbox Ecosystem focusing on Social and Identity, including community health and women in gaming. Kristen completed a BA in Psychology at the University of Waterloo and a Masters in HCI from Carleton University. Kristen is published in several domains including Persuasive Systems Design, Bendable Displays, and Motivating Behavior Change through Computer Interfaces.
Note the new location
We’re getting together at Meeting Room C at the newly-renovated central branch of the Kitchener Public Library. This room is located in the basement, accessible through either the elevator or the stairwell adjacent to the main entrance off Queen Street.
Parking is available at meters on nearby side streets, on the surface lot next to the library, or in the library’s underground lot.
Remember that construction will snarl traffic at that time of day, so leave plenty of time to get there!
Please register for this free event
Posted: October 28th, 2015 | Author: Mark Connolly | Filed under: Jobs | Tags: job | No Comments »
Position: Senior UX Architect – MAR01998
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Sun Life Financial is seeking a leader with significant UX/UI experience to join our Digital User Experience team within Canadian Operations. You will be responsible for guiding and creating remarkable and progressive digital experiences for a variety of audiences to support our business in Canada. You will work closely with stakeholders in multiple business units to define the user experience for Sun Life Financial secure digital properties, ensuring they closely align with the client’s key success factors. You will work collaboratively with fellow members of the team to conceptualize design and prototype ideas for implementation on the web, mobile and social channels.
You as a UX Architect you will:
- Provide insightful high-level UX thought leadership and consulting in on various projects yet also have the ability to seamlessly shift to delivering detailed project designs and documentation required
- Determine the need for user research and user testing and orchestrate and oversee the process. Interpret and review research findings for presentations to project teams
- Lead the design of user interface related features and participate in developing progressive solutions for the public facing web, mobile and social channels. Apply sound interaction design principles to influence project strategy and direction
- Projects manage user experience deliverables produced by internal and 3rd party resources as required to ensure expectations are successfully met
- Be an evangelist for user experience practices across the company
- Be our in-house expert on web accessibility issues and ensure compliance with evolving accessibility standards
- As part of the UX Centre of Excellence, develop and maintain enterprise standard documents such as; user scenarios, personas, user flows, design mockups, wire-frames, prototypes, specifications, navigation maps, UI standards documents and other design documents
- Ensure standards and best practices are appropriately communicated and documented in Style Guides and other related UX Centre of Excellence assets
- Work to make sure that the workflow reflects the user’s needs and ensure consistency among features
- Define compelling and innovative user interfaces and interaction styles which result in improved user productivity for computer-based web and mobile interfaces
- Share user-centric design best practices through education and informal sessions across the organization.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in design / user experience
- University degree or certification in User Experience related field or equivalent work experience
- Portfolio demonstrating impactful customer experiences, including experience developing digital products from initial concept through to implementation
- Design experience ranging across web, mobile (mobile web and native applications) and social channels
- Strong knowledge and experience designing wireframes and interactive prototypes using industry software (e.g. Axure, Balsamiq)
- Well versed in current accessibility standards
- Proven track record and a passion for designing compelling, award-winning user interfaces
- Excellent design, verbal, writing and presentation skills
- Experience working with clients and various departments within a team environment
- Proficiency in HTML5 and CSS
- Knowledge of current web standards and the latest trends
- Ability to successfully manage and deliver on multiple projects
Note: depending on the specific resource hired for this role, more emphasis may be placed on specific responsibilities listed above.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted: October 21st, 2015 | Author: Mark Connolly | Filed under: Jobs | No Comments »
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Enabling the digital world
OpenText enables the digital world by simplifying, transforming, and accelerating enterprise information needs, on premises or in the cloud. We embrace all things digital and are committed to being the Best Place to Work for our Employees in over 140 locations around the world.
We obsess over our customers to ensure they are wildly successful in embracing the Digital World. Our customers entrust us with their most important information, we need to be their most trusted partner. What we do, we do well. What we create, we do purposefully to impact the world. If you believe in this and are passionate about enabling the Digital World then let OpenText turn your career vision into reality.
User Experience Designers at Open Text research, identify, and solve complex software design problems in an innovative, highly collaborative environment. We translate product requirements into designs that deliver compelling experiences that solve business problems. We’re responsible for designing the user experience framework, interaction and interface design for complex enterprise software applications.
User Experience Design works intimately with development to steer implementation details by advocating on behalf of the customer- in an in an agile/iterative product development environment.
You are great at
- Support Program and Product Management by performing user research, developing ongoing relationships with customers to build a shared understanding of their problems and needs
- Work with Product Management in helping to create the product backlog and define the user experience vision for the product.
- Identify and create user personas, buyer personas, and scenarios.
- Conceptualize, design and deliver intuitive and compelling designs for a complex product suite, or suites, that clearly support customer needs and business objectives.
- Advocate user needs throughout the development lifecycle in an agile/iterative environment to inspire the engineering team to develop the right product.
- Validate designs with customers and other stakeholders in order to drive iterative improvements throughout the development lifecycle.
- Coordinate among multiple designers supporting a suite of products, line of business or business unit.
- Maintain a cohesive user experience strategy for area of immediate responsibility; may lead or coordinate among other designers on cross-company UXD strategy. Researches and evaluates new product UXD support opportunities.
- Participate in customer site visits, beta test visits, customer briefings, customer councils, user group meetings, technical conferences, seminars, etc. as appropriate and as budget permits. Creatively engage with customers via virtual councils, webex sessions, and other remote technologies, especially when limited budget opportunities persist.
- Mentor peers, stakeholders, and teammates on customer-centered design principles and methodologies.
- Contribute to and help champion User Experience Design team initiatives, such as creation of design guidelines, process enhancements, toolkits, etc., fostering a customer-centered culture.
- Bring awareness of competitive software and emerging advances in the User Experience field, including interaction design, usability, user-centered design methods and state-of-the-art user interface technology into the company. Visit domestic / international customers and project teams (may travel 25% of time).
- Assist management to ensure proper workload balancing among other user experience designers as appropriate.
- Provide budget information to management for planning purposes. Assists management in developing budgets to ensure foresight and accuracy.
- Assist management in recruiting and staffing efforts, helping with initial applicant screening, on-site interviews and evaluations.
- Help drive awareness of the UXD team both inside and outside the company.
What it takes
- Strong technical background or the ability to quickly understand and articulate interactions in a complex technical environment
- Experience designing complex enterprise applications
- Experience in ECM, SAP, RM, BPM, ERP, WCM preferred
- UI development experience on web, desktop, or mobile platforms a plus
- 5+ years working with an experience design team… applicants with eclectic backgrounds welcome
- Passionate about creating products that best serve the needs of the user
- Effective at influencing and convincing colleagues, and highly motivated to effect change
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to conceptualize complex systems
- Demonstrated results-oriented work ethic and consistent record of meeting deadlines
- Excellent listener, facilitator, communicator, and team player
- Self-reliant, used to taking initiative, and great at follow-up
- Creative, with solid understanding of interaction design best practices / principles
- Requirements gathering and analysis
- Creation of user personas
- Task and workflow analysis
- Light prototyping (paper and click-through interactive)
- Heuristic evaluation and expert walk-throughs
- Usability testing and analysis of results and/or working with user researchers/usability engineers to convert test recommendations to design decisions
- Good analytical and organizational skills including the ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborate environment as part of a global User Experience Design team
- Ability to shift among multiple projects as needed in rapid, agile software development environment
- Goal driven; plans and manages toward achieving goals, anticipates problems and issues and proactively drives their resolution
- Prior experience doing UX within an Agile environment would be an asset
- Experience with a variety of UI design and prototyping tools, e.g. Visio, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Axure, Balsamiq, Flash, etc.
- Knowledge of GUI accessibility standards (Section 508, WCAG, etc.) a plus
- Knowledge of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) products would be an asset
At OpenText we understand and value diversity in our employees and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We hire the best talent regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental condition, marital status, sex, age, veteran status or sexual orientation. We draw on our diversity and collective genius as we continue to shape a better future for our customers and be the Best Place to Work for our employees- nothing is off the table at OpenText. If you require accommodation in completing the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or apply via LinkedIn
Posted: October 8th, 2015 | Author: Mark Connolly | Filed under: Events | Tags: event, pub | No Comments »
September was a month packed full of UX events, making for plenty of intriguing ideas to discuss. Let’s celebrate that with conversation and debate over a beer or two (or whatever drinks you might prefer).
Please register for this free event
Thursday October 15, 2015
5:30 to 7:00 pm
Abe Erb Brewing
15 King Street South, Uptown Waterloo