Posted: October 18th, 2016 | Author: Mark Connolly | Filed under: Events | Tags: event | No Comments »
September was a busy month on the UX calendar in Waterloo Region. Fluxible 2016 delivered a full week of events that delivered plenty of insights into practice, products, and the people behind them.
Let’s get together and celebrate Autumn with our second UXtoberfest session. We’ll meet at Abe Erb in Uptown Waterloo and together talk about all of the UX goodness that will fit!
Please register for this free event
Thursday October 20, 2016
5:30 to 7:00 pm
Abe Erb Brewing
15 King Street South, Uptown Waterloo
Posted: October 3rd, 2016 | Author: Mark Connolly | Filed under: Jobs | No Comments »
Location: Kitchener, ON
Position: Senior Product Designer
Are you a motivated Product Designer who is passionate about creating delightful and usable experiences that help users become awesome? Do you like to think big and have a desire to inspire the people around you? Do you want your design work to have a bigger impact? If this sounds like you, then come join our Product Design team as a Product Designer, and help us change the way the world learns!
We are a design team of just over 20 individuals. Our primary roles are Product Designer or User Experience Researcher — but we are much more diverse than our roles suggest. Although most of us have been at D2L longer, our team is just over one year old. In that time we’ve come together in a big way and we’ve made some big splashes together.
We are organized in persona teams: “Learner Experience”, “Teacher Experience” and “Institutional Experience”. Our team personas do not define us — we are one team and work in pairs that transcend these groups – because learning is a two way street between learner and teacher. If you are looking to be a part of a nascent Design Culture — this is the place for you.
We are not looking for unicorns. We don’t want you to code — unless that is how you communicate naturally. We don’t want you to spread yourself thin across too many areas of specialization.
We are looking for someone who wants to share what they know about design and someone who wants to grow as a designer. Someone who wants to focus on designing the right experiences for learners and teachers. Someone willing to fail early and diverge…
“The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas, and throw the bad ones away.” — Linus Pauling
If this sounds like you, we want to talk to you. If this sounds to good to be true, it isn’t — the catch is that we expect you to bring your A game — every day.
What we are looking for
- Passion — We want to see your passion for users, for design and for working collaboratively with other talented designers and user researchers.
- Portfolio — You don’t need to have launched products that have changed the world. But, you will need to show us your designs and have a conversation about the business and user problems you are trying to solve.
- Point of view (POV) — We want to hear what you have to say. We are looking for designers who have and can form opinions about their work. You’ll need to be able to talk about your ideas, concepts, research findings and designs in front of others – including senior leadership.
What we offer
- A design team like no other in Kitchener-Waterloo.
- A place for you to learn and grow as a designer and a human being.
- Projects that will make you feel good again about working in tech. It’s not all about eyeballs, advertising and closing VC rounds.
- A chance to change the way the world learns.
- A strong commitment to work/life balance. Because you and your family matter.
Ok, beyond passion, portfolio and point of view, we are looking for someone with some real design experience — 5+ years worth.
We are looking for someone who is a team player and wants to collaborate with others. You should understand that everyone can be a leader. Being a self starter is a given.
If you have the 5+ years experience, we’re assuming you can work in an agile environment and you understand and practice key concepts including: Lean UX, Design Sprints (Google Ventures version of Design Thinking process) & Story Mapping. This experience is a vital foundation for the work that you’ll do here.
“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” —Albert Einstein
Apply online on our website.